Tuesday, February 24, 2009

WHAT TIME IS IT?

My 6-year old just learned how to tell time. The hubby taught her for maybe five minutes and now she can't stop looking at her watch telling everybody what time it is.

While laying in bed before going to sleep, she asked how she would know whether it's a.m. or p.m. So I explained to her that starting
12:00 in the daytime, p.m. starts. When it's 12:00 at nighttime, it turns to a.m. Then the cycle just continues.

Then it hit me... I don't even know (or maybe I just don't remember) what a.m. and p.m. stand for! So I consulted my friend Wiki. And here's what I learned:

A.M. stands for ante meridiem (Latin for before noon), while P.M. stands for post meridiem (Latin for after noon).

Did you guys know (or remember) that? See, even adults can learn new things every day! Thanks to my little, big girl for asking. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have bothered finding out.

No comments:

Post a Comment