Thursday, January 15, 2009

BE CAREFUL


I am a swiper. What does that mean? When I purchase stuff, I like swiping my debit card to pay rather than give cash- my 'spending money' is with President's Choice so I have unlimited transactions. I don't know why but I don't like having too much cash on me. I find I spend less when I use my debit card- I know a lot of you would think the opposite (including my hubby) but that's how my crazy mind works. But for the past several months, it's been more of a hassle to use my debit card than a convenience.

You see, for the past several months, my debit card had been cancelled a few times already. Why? Because of suspicious fraud activity. Meaning... I've been swiping my card somewhere where they think the debit machines have been tampered on or some place that they suspect to have been copying debit cards. It really sucked every time they did this because they never called me to at least let me know that my card had been cancelled. There'd been a few embarrassing moments already where I tried to pay for something and my payment would be declined. Every time I called them, they would give me the same explanation about the suspicious fraud activity. And the most frustrating thing was that they won't even tell you which suspicious place you've used your debit card that caused it to be cancelled due to investigation purposes- so they say. So I've changed my PIN quite a few times, I've even changed my debit card a couple of times. Everything was good until a few days ago when $500 was actually taken out from my account!

For the first time, I appreciated those times when they inconveniently cancelled my card to protect me from these fraud crap. But what happened? Why wasn't my card cancelled this time? Until now, I'm still waiting for my money to be put back in to my account. Waiting. Still waiting.

I've told myself that from now on, I'll do what Dora the Explorer always says: "Swiper, no swiping!

2 comments:

  1. swiper, no swiping!

    awwww...i hope they give you back your moola soontime.
    i dont use my card in stores around the yonge and church area...bec most of my coworkers' cards have been cancelled due to suspicious fraud activity, and some of them got money taken out of their accounts. so now when i buy lunch, i make sure to withdraw money first. it sucks. coz im a swiper like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i meant bloor and church area sorry

    ReplyDelete