Saturday, December 13, 2008

F-O-B


I am currently in Ajax at my parents' place and I don't know how it all started but we started talking about random stuff- including MY FOBBY moments. And now, my MOTHER AND HUSBAND wanted me to share my VERY EMBARRASSING moments to the whole wide world!

-I was on my first few shifts at McDonald's (my very first job) and a customer asked me for something... I couldn't understand what he was saying at all. It sounded like pure mumbling to me although that 'something' he was asking for sounded familiar. After he repeated himself so many times, I started to panic- I still had no idea what EXACTLY he wanted and he was getting really frustrated with me. And I was already trying my hardest to lip-read! I thought I was gonna cry but since I thought I knew what he was asking for I said, "Oh, that!" I can see the relief on his face while I started to walk to the side- going to the ice cream machine getting his 'something.' I walked back to the customer with a huge smile on my face and handed him the MOST PERFECT VANILLA CONE I was capable of making. The customer looked at me like I just did the STUPIDEST thing and said, "What's this?" I said, "You wanted *me mumbling trying to make it sound like whatever he said*, right?" At this time, a good friend of mine (who happened to work with me and was working on the next till) was looking at us trying to figure out what was happening. When the customer shouted, "I want some S**V****ES!" I was almost in tears, then I saw my friend walk outside to the condiments counter and got him a whole bunch of napkins. She then walked up to me and said, "He was asking for SERVIETTES!" (To all you Filipinos out there: get it? SERVIETTES? SORBETES? And I wasn't even sure what SORBETES meant. I just remembered seeing that word on some ice cream container in the Philippines so I assumed it meant ice cream!).

-Same setting: McDonalds. A man came up and asked for some 'chips.' I was very apologetic when I said, "I'm sorry, sir. We don't sell chips here. This is McDonalds. The convenient store is just around the corner." He looked at me and pointing to the fry machine he said, "What are those then?" FRIES!

At least when the incident above happened, I finally realized that it was okay to order 'Fish and Chips.' I never wanted to order it before cuz when they say 'chips," it's usually Lay's or some kind of potato chips which I don't really appreciate much. And besides, why would you eat fish with CHIPS? Fish and Fries sounds more appetizing!

-I was doing some shopping and when the cashier handed me the receipt I looked at it and looked at her in shock. I walked back and said, "How'd you know my name? I never told you my first name, did I? By the way, it's misspelled." Then I left staring at the receipt that said, "THANK YOU, MERCI!"

And lastly...

-We were at Fairview Mall earlier this evening and I volunteered to order the food. Brice wanted something from Grill It Up so I decided that I'd get something from there too to save time. I ordered Tandoori Chicken and I specified that I wanted it mild. When the guy handed me my order, I stared at it surprised (again!). On the container was scribbled, "TAN, M"- my last name and first initial! I guess the guy saw my expression cuz he then said, "That's what you wanted, right? TANdoori Mild? I just smiled like an idiot and left.

Mahn! Even after being 'Canadian' for a while now (over a decade already!), these things still happen to me! But now, I can finally laugh it off and say, "I AM SUCH A FOB!"

It's okay, you can laugh WITH me :-D

HA - HA - HA !

9 comments:

  1. OMG. ahahahaha. i love you! and i love having FOBBY moments with you. it's always fun. coz no matter what, we're still fabulous in a fobulous way. :)

    this is mcdonalds: "can i get mcchicken sauce?" me thinking, "ewww. sauce made of out chicken?"

    i remember just moving here...and whenever i'd go to the convenience store to buy a phone card (haha remember the phone card days with baguio boy?), i'd always write down and then memorize whatever i was gonna say to the cashier.

    and then my first couple of months at vanier, i was sitting beside this girl...i think it was ann rose...and she had a pack of halls. and i thought halls were only made in the phils. so i was like, "oh hey, did you get that from the philippines?" she looked at me weird...and i never spoke to her again. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought someone like you had FOB moments like that! I guess everyone has them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tiar, im gonna ask ann rose about that 'halls' thing next time i see her. haha. j/k!

    tita ems, you have no idea! it happens all the time (i'm just better at covering it up now) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, fyi... McChicken Sauce = Mayonnaise (right, Tiar?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. FOB ... one of those acronyms that the younger generation use. I am not sure what it really means but I am guessing F is for funny, O B, I cannot guess... so I'll just ride along with you guys.

    I remember the very first few trips we had to your house in Scarborough. I was, as always, the GPS who's always conveniently blamed, trying to look at the signs for the exit. Gem was my helper, she had the map. I was frustrated that she cannot find "Sorte" in the map... hmmmm... how is that for FOB?

    kaidadis-ly yours,
    Tita D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ting (again),

    Jas just woke up and I asked her... now, I am laughing at myself... taga-bukid gyud!!!

    ROTGL,
    Tita D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA HA HA. i was just about to write it here. ako na pud ang mangutana... what's ROTGL?! wa pud ko'y hanaw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. rolling on the ground laughing

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah! i learned something new today!

    ReplyDelete